New Year, New Skin
Start your new year with the right skin care regime and products.
Have your skin type diagnosed by a skin care professional and choose your products accordingly . Simply using the right products for your skin type can correct a multitude of issues.
♦ Stop scrubbing at your eyes, you are giving yourself wrinkles!
Use a proper eye make-up remover: Lancôme Bi-Facil Non Oily Instant Cleanser easily removes all traces of eye make-up (even waterproof mascara) and leaves no oily residue on the skin.
♦ This year, one of the trends at fashion week, was the use of waterless cleansers to quickly cleanse the models faces between shows using only a cotton pad:
Try Clarins Water Comfort One-Step Cleanser or La Prairie Cellular Cleansing Water for Eyes & Face. My personal favourite waterless cleanser is Bioderma Crealine H2O cleanser for sensitive skin (available at Dischem). No makeup artist is without it. Waterless cleansers are also great when you’re flying or are on safari in the middle of nowhere and have no access to clean water.
♦ Toners are skin type specific. I recommend an astringent one for oily skins to remove excess oils, Vichy makes a great one. For a more gentle, soothing toner, try La Mer the mist. The mist is also great to keep in your handbag to refresh a tired face during the summer months or set your makeup. For a simple and cost-effective toner use rose-water.
♦ This brings us to serum. Serum is formulated with smaller molecules so they can penetrate your epidermis and treat specific skin conditions. Conditions such as redness, dehydration, lack of firmness, wrinkles, dark spots or dull skin. The correct way to apply serum is while the skin is still damp from toner, to seal in as much moisture as possible. Wait a few minutes for the serum to absorb before you apply your moisturizer. That will increase the benefits of your serum. I recommend Estee Lauder award-winning Advanced night repair, Clarins double serum and the brand new, Lifting contour serum from La Mer.
♦ Eye creams
Tinted Clinique Even Better Eyes brightens dark shadows helps thicken skin that is too transparent and shows darkness under the skin. To reduce wrinkles, Olay Regenerist Intensive Repair Treatment uses gentle retinol propionate, so even sensitive types can get smooth. My fellow makeup artist, Renee de Wit swears by Dior Hydra Life BB eye cream, this is a slightly tinted eye cream, that targets signs of fatigue including dark shadows and puffiness.
♦ There is often confusion about the order in which to use all of these products. Apply serum, eye cream then moisturise. Don’t forget your sun protection.
♦ Moisturise to hydrate and seal in moisture. Here are some of my favourites:
- Dermalogica’s Active Moist is a moisturiser suited to more oily skin types.
- Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream has extra moisture for a combination skin.
- A great all-rounder is Clinique dramatically different moisturiser.
- Dr Hauschka’s Crème a la Rose for dry skin.
♦ Specialized moisturisers for once or twice weekly use…
- Morning: An instant brightener: Clarins Beauty Flash Balm is like a double espresso for your face.
- Evening: Overnight magic moisturising treatment Guerlain midnight secret Is my go to, rejuvenation lotion.
- Tip to make your own tinted moisturiser: add a few drops of your foundation to your moisturiser and ‘Voila!’.
- Tip to darken your foundation slightly for the summer months: mix in a non-shimmer cream bronzer like the one from Kanebo.
♦ After trying to combine all these lotions and potions you might just want to go the easy route with a tinted moisturiser or the trending BB & CC creams.
♦ Hot-topic BB creams. are also known as beauty balms: they prime for foundation, even out imperfections, protect with SPF, are packed with antioxidants and plumping agents, moisturise and control excess oil, while also offering sheer but long-lasting coverage. Vogue recommends Estée Lauder Daywear BB & Diorskin Nude BB Creme and I agree. For a very affordable and surprisingly fantastic BB cream (that I personally use), try Garnier BB cream.
♦ CC creams are very similar to BB creams except they have the added benefit of colour correcting your skin. I recommend Clinique Moisture Surge CC & Olay Regenerist CC Cream
♦ Don’t forget your lips:
1. For an indulgence, try La Prairie Cellular Lip Renewal Concentrate, This orange-scented cream plumps your lips and makes them naturally pinker.
2. La Mer lip balm and Clarins Moisture replenishing balm with rose wax, are also luxurious treats for your lips.
3. If you are struggling with severely dry, cracked and painful lips, the only remedy is lanolin nipple cream. Try Purelan 100 from Medela (available in the baby isle at Dischem) You only need a small tube, a little goes a long way.
For more lip balms click here
♦ Last notes:
To set your makeup before you head out the door, spritz your face with MAC FIX spray.
Masks: I recommend using a mask geared toward your skins needs.
- Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque for aging skin
- Elemis Papaya Enzyme Peel for gentle exfoliation and rejuvenation of tired skin
- Eve Lom rescue Mask for problem skin prone to blemishes. Since this is not available in South Africa you can try my homemade mask recipe click here
Image: Marie Claire Fr, photographer-Michel Perez, makeup and hair-Bernice Dodd